Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wedding at Waikiki

Here's another blog that took forever to compose.

But let's start from the beginning of the trip when CB and I were bussed over to Thrify Car rental to pick up the Cadillac STS he reserved over the internet. I waited outside with other eager tourists watching rental cars pull up, loaded with suit cases then taking off. The crowd was thinning and soon I was the only one there. I looked into the building knowing they must have screwed up our reservation. CB stepped out to tell me they didn't have the car he wanted but they'll drive it over from another location in about 10 min. "They were going to offer me anything on the lot, but I said 'NO' I want that car [pointing to the picture of a gray sedan]" So we sat down on the Thrify bench surrounded by several rental cars and enjoyed the start of our vacation. In less than 10min. CB jumped up and smiled, there it is. I stood up slightly confused "this is it? are you sure?" He smiled excitedly "yah!" He signed some papers, then proceeded to pop the trunk with the Chrysler emblem shining clearly in front of me. "babe, this isn't a Cadillac" I burst out laughing at how he could've made such a mistake, even with the car in front of him. Apparently when he made the reservation online, the page only provided a picture with no vehicle description.

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa
We strolled around during the day then drove out of Waikiki to find a non-tourist place to eat. CB wanted to go to Safeway to pick up some salmon lomi then a bottle of Kettle one and some mixers. I started passing out on the way home and crashed at 9pm. What a waste, but hey, it's me. I can't stay awake for the life of me. At 1 am CB couldn't stop stirring around the room then he dragged my ass out for a walk. We got to check out the homeless of Waikiki and lots of very skinny prostitutes.

Day 2
You really get to know someone when you travel together. I was the navigator to Manoa falls in
the morning, then an hour drive North to "the shrimp shack" for lunch.
Posted by Picasa

Apparently CB doesn't like my navigating skills. I'm not sure how else to navigate for someone who doesn't listen.

The shrimp was fresh, and the sauce was really good. But if it weren't for the hype in the tourist books, I wouldn't have driven so far for a few pieces of shrimp. We swung by the Macadamian Outlet and sampled a variety of flavoured macadamians.. yummy!!
Then the drive home again. grr.. I wanted to catapult the driver off the island.
We were going to be late catching the bus for Germaine's Luau. Sure enough, everyone was waiting for us in the bus, I hate that feeling of walking all the way to the back of the bus with all eyes staring.

Germaines Luau at night.
Posted by Picasa

It was my first Luau so I was excited, plus I love watching Polynesian dancing. We sat across a couple and the guy's mom. The mom was in her 50's and she was so wasted since the start of the show. She was dancing in her seat and she kept reaching across to talk to us. In the end when they left she came over to give us hugs and kisses, blessing us through the alcohol in her breath.

Ocean's Club at night. Nothing spectacular. I was tired, the crowd was young. It looked like I stepped into The Element Party on Waikiki.

Day 3
Morning Cruise. We had initially planned for a sunset cruise, but with the strong winds and high waves, the surfers were the only one's enjoying the weather.

We hopped onto a bus at 7am that took us out to Ko'Olina harbor. We saw lots of dolphins and the captain stopped the boat as the dolphins swam up to check us out.
Posted by Picasa
Then I saw flying fishes! These tropical fishes jump out of the water and literally fly for a good 5-10 seconds! Then we snorkeled. I saw a puffer fish but no turtles, I was really hoping to catch a glimpse of those big turles. We got back at 2ish and it was the fist time we laid down on the beach to rest.
Rehearsal dinner at Sam Choys.
Cleared the bottle of Kettle One with some other wedding guests at night. Then passed out.

Day 4
We drove to The Original Pancake House for breakfast from the recommendation of a local. At 10am there was a line outside the door that looked about 30 people long and the waiting list had atleast 10 tables ahead of us, but we were seated in 15 minutes. Our target was their banana macadamian nut pancake. CB ordered 3 of them, I ordered 2 cocconut pancakes and we shared an omlette. The waitress repeated our order "you want an omlette and FIVE pancakes?"
Posted by Picasa

We cleared our plates and the omlette. The waitress was impressed. On our way out I glanced at the waiting list and noticed they've already serverd 20 tables since we sat down. Fast service and fast eaters!

At 11:30 am we were picked up to go jet skiing. We were greeted by a local who had a few missing teeth in the front in addition to a few chipped one's. He stepped out of the boat with duck tape wrapped around his right big toe. He explained he had a deep cut in his toe that extended to the balls of his foot from surfing. He had superglued it then used the tape to hold it together. That's just nasty. It didn't make me feel too safe riding with him.


Wedding at Ko'Olina JW Marriot. Lovely place. They had an open bar after the reception and I had one of the best Pina Colada's ever. For dinner I sat across one of the bridesmaid's and her daughter. The 4 year old is so cute. Her eyes beamed when they poured "champagne" into her glass and she was so excited to cheer with us like an adult
.
Posted by Picasa
Passed out on the way home. Go figure. And that was the end of my trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, E! I didn't even know you went to Hawaii! Guess I'm a little out of the loop. Sounded like lots of fun. Oh - and I do enjoy the blogs with the pics better. Who cares if they're 2 months old! hee hee.

Anonymous said...

hey, we were late to the luau 'coz the roads going back were closed, and we had to detour. and plus, saralee took forever @ the macadamia factory. i still plead innocent! hehe.
-cb

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about private waterskiing clubs
. You can check it out at private waterskiing clubs
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam