Thursday, February 01, 2007

gown shopping

I thought wedding gown shopping would be fun. How can it not? I get to shop and try on pretty dresses and feel like a princess. But then I discovered that I can't just walk in to a bridal salon and shop, I have to make appointments. So in preparation I flipped through magazines and checked out some designer runways to find dresses that appeal to me, but I kept in mind that I don't have mile long legs and I will not be walking down the aisle like it's a catwalk. Regardless, the first time I tried on a dress I was floored at what a bustier can do for the body. That, plus cut of the dress... check out those curves! Damn, I'd have to say I look pretty damn good. But what's up withe the price? $3000-$5000+ WHAT?
Not having a clear idea of what I want, every dress looked nice except for the price!!
I checked out David's Bridal too, which has less pricier gowns, but the material is not the same. mmm...That silk charmeuse sure felt nice.

Now I'm stuck trying to justify spending that much on a dress that I'll only wear once. Of course it's my big day and it only happens once. But does anyone really remember what the bride wears? And what am I going to do with that thing the day after? The sentimental sales lady will tell you to preserve it for your children. One day it could become their "something borrowed".

I highly doubt that will happen. Now I'm banking of having a girl? A girl who will be my size and have my style? Would any of you want to wear your mom's dress?

I can't, I can't justify the cost, it's just retarded. My other option is to have Lorymer, CB's cousin make the dress for me in the Philippines. The idea is nice, to have someone in the family make the dress. Not so nice if the dress should arrive ill-fitting and well, ugly. Fashion in Asia is just not the same. Sadly, I'd have to say Taiwanese people have the strangest ensembles.


hmm...maybe I should be carried to the chapel in a Chinese bridal chair.

4 comments:

Oliver said...

get your dress in sf, not the phils. you'll regret it if the smallest thing is wrong with it. unless you're going to be there to "supervise" every step, stick to what you know will be acceptable. i've had friends get dresses made in the phils and it was not worth it.

celia said...

Where did you get those "f'ugly" pictures from?! You can find a really nice dress for 1200 USD. Just got to keep looking!!

head dump said...

WHAT? what's so ugly about the red dress. check out the figure it gives you. I'm also going to wear a big head piece too with big silver balls on springs. And those springs will make those funny noises like a door stopper when you flick it. LOVELY

Fumbling said...

try the dresses on in the nice stores and then buy online. you may or may not have the model number of the dress but you can at least look for it. Gi did that and got her dress i think for $400 or $600 and it was a nice designer one too