Monday, August 22, 2005

Hibernate

For the past 3 months my Sunday mornings usually started with opening my eyes to YN staring back at me, followed by "oh my god, do you remember what you did?" Humiliating pictures helped to remind us of why we shouldn't get too drunk.

I'm ready to hibernate for a while now. I really screwed up my training schedule after a few mis-haps. One crazy weekend messed me up for a week. Then I discovered I have varicose veins which really hurt for a few days, but I still ran through the pain. Then I rolled my right ankle 5 minutes into a planned long run. I wasn't warmed up yet, so it was hurt really badly and that was 3 weeks ago. I'm rehabing it right now but I can't seem to be able to jump on it yet. I'm hoping it'll be okay by next week. Mean while I'm spending ridiculous hours in the gym to make up for the length of time I'm supposedly running. Last Thursday I was there for 3.5 hours using the elliptical machine, steps etc. in substitution for my 16mi run. That's gym money put to good use.

If anyone knows has a good tip for sprained ankles, please let me know. It was an inversion sprain.

The training has really taken up a lot of my time. I have to work out after work now because lunch hour isn't long enough. I often find myself responding to IM greetings with, "hi", "gotta go to the gym, talk to you later." It kind of stinks, but I really want to do this marathon, I've been looking forward to doing one for years.

Some changes I've noticed with my training are: I don't get bored after an hours work out anymore, at 2 hours I feel like the energizer bunny, I can still do more but my joints start aching. My calves have gotten really big! They're massive! If I flex I can barely wrap both hands around them! A good MP3 player or book makes a huge difference.

2 comments:

celia said...

Hope you're feeling better! Good luck on your marathon! (nice sister talking)

Take a Tylenol and walk it off (mean sister talking...and that would be Brenda of course).

Sam said...

Got motivation from you, after reading this (3.5 hours in the gym) went running after almost a month. I am totally out of shape now, can’t even do a 5k. Hopefully I will have the motivation to get back in shape.

When is the Marathon?