Tuesday, August 02, 2005

lean back

oh yah, this is the way it should be. half way slid down my chair, Explorer full screen ahead along with many other non-work related windows. Boss isn't here this week, and what do I do with my time? I plan my marathon schedule. I was worried for a while that I wasn't up to mileage and won't have enough time to train properly, what if I got an injury? which I sort of do.

I spent most of my day reading articles from active.com learning how to train injury free. Apparently it's recommended to do a ratio of run/walk which came as a great relief for me. I was wondering how on earth I'd manage running 26 miles continuously.

I did 10 miles straight last week and I nearly killed myself. Throughout the 10 miles I learned that my vision gets slightly blurred at about 6 miles. I was running through small branches, stepping over shrubs and I think I might have stepped on a small lizard.
I felt an unfamiliar soft landing under the balls of my right foot that made me slip very slightly to right followed by an immediate high pitched squeak. I could have stopped to double check but I was already 10 seconds past the 'squeak' and I was too tired to add an extra 20 seconds back tracking just to see a blurry lizard.

While surfing through active.com I came across a section on gears. It's a page full of the latest, sportiest sunglasses, shorts, T-shirts, runners. I started to smile.. SHOPPING! But I'll refrain myself. The only thing I feel I need is another pair of running shorts, pants, runners, maybe another mp3 player. I've had mine for 3+ years and I'm surprised it's still alive. I use it a lot! (thanks JY) My friend MM was telling me how tights help to stabilize the legs so that everytime you make impact your muscles don't have to work extra hard to stabilize the jiggling that occurs. At 8 miles, I definitely concurred.

So here's what I came up for training.

Monday: Spinning Class (interval training)
Tuesday: Cross Training
Wedensday: up to 4 miles w/ hills
Thursday: Long Run
Friday: Stretch/Yoga
Saturday:2-4 miles + core training
Sunday: OFF

There's something about getting those out to the world, because now I feel somewhat obligated to stick to it. If anyone knows of a better schedule, let me know.

4 comments:

whatupwilly said...

I did Hal Higdon (He writes for Active.com as well). He is really well known in marathon circles. This is a pretty good structured program that offers a good layout on how much to incremement every week:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Check out the calendar. You may even want to start with the intermediate program:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

Because you can already run 10 miles. But I feel the intermediate program will just help you run faster, not necessarily help you hit that 26 miles. If all you want to do is finish the 26 miles, do novice first.

Anonymous said...

here's a good one, cc. this site gives you the details on how you should train 30 days before your marathon. hth

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0196.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0196b.htm

head dump said...

Thanks guys. I heard runnersworld.com has some good info too. I think I'm starting to get an idea of what my training schedule should look like. Now it's just allocating time for them. The best part of all this training is that I get to eat more. More CARBS, YUMMY!

celia said...

who in the hell leaves an essay as a "comment"?!