Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shiny or Dull side


Aluminum Foil.

There is a shiny and dull side which occurs during the manufacturing process. Which side do YOU use? I believe the shiny side reflects heat better so to keep food warm I face the shiny side INSIDE. That's just the way I feel about it and I do it all the time! I came across some resistance to my preferred method of cooking this past weekend. Which, led to a series of loud/heavy "discussions" until we finally had access to outside knowledge....we decided to ask a Scientist but the answer was still vague.... maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm still sticking to my theory.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Hmm ... I had pondered my preferences before, and I usually select based on whether it has to look nice (for presentation), or if it's purely for function.

If it's something to wrap and bring to a potluck, shiny side goes out. If it's because I want to bake something and want it to come off the food nicely, I actually pick the non-shiny side to contact the food. If I'm making a hat to protect my sensitive brain against alien brain probing technologies, then I double-layer it anyway and put the shiny side both outside and in -- because hey, who doesn't want to look good in an alien rebellion hat.

Anonymous said...

oooh...HeadDump with the HARD-HITTING questions! ;) so, i actually heated up a pizza with the shiny side up the other day (i think i usually do it with the shiny side down) and the pizza kinda stuck to the aluminum. So, my verdict: shiny side DOWN. ;)