Monday, August 06, 2007

I'm busy

On Mondays I stick around the office during lunch time. I run a few errands online, do some light reading, blog. It's my own time. Sometimes co-workers come and chat and that's fine, as long as it's not about work. But what picks my ass is when I'm glued to some webpage, obviously reading something that I find interesting and someone starts to have a full on conversation with me! Do I ignore them? Of course not, I smile, nod and provide a short acknowledged response and quickly continue my reading. Most don't seem to read the body language well. I don't see why it's hard to tell that when I barely looked at you to smile and I'm still looking at the screen, I don't want to be talked to. With CB I'm much more rude. I simply ignore his comment and respond by leaning towards my screen and begin reading out loud. On a pissy day I'll begin to read out loud before he completes his sentence. That's pretty obvious right? Now how do I translate that to other people? I should bring earphones and pretend I can't hear them.

1 comment:

Ben said...

This is an easy one! Do not turn your attention away from your screen, just continue reading, and wave them away with the back of your hand.

Or, alternatively, you could just suddenly turn to them and yell noises like a madman. Instant privacy for life!