Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I need my cell phone

I called Y today, but not on her cell. She was in Vancouver so I called her home phone, the same number that remains in my memory since highschool. Infact, the only phone numbers that I remember are home numbers from highschool. Though I still remember Y's digits, it has been over 10 years since I dialed them. I started feeling weird and even more nervous when Y's mom answered the phone... "Wei, aunty-ah" I spoke, adding the Chinese accent, I never understood why I did that, I don't even speak Cantonese. "May I speak with Y?" I prepared to give my name and then braced myself to be denied the phone call. Either Y was doing home work or they are having dinner. Instead, aunty spoke sweetly and requested I call back in 10 minutes, Y will be out of the shower soon.

It has also been over 10 years since I had to go through another family member to reach the person I want to speak to. Then I started to wonder how highschool would have been if I had a cell. I just imagine all the late nights I hid beneath the dining table covering my mouth so my parents couldn't hear me. With my cell, I could be in bed talking all night! Sneaking out would have been much easier, no more throwing rocks at windows, no more waiting by the window for your friend to whistle or bark like a dog. It surely would have made meeting up eaiser. All those hours waiting in metro town for friends to show up by bus or sky train would have been spared. Calling my boyfriend would have been easier. ah... cell phones are great, with the exeption that now it becomes expected that you answer or return calls ASAP.

No comments: