Friday, June 17, 2005

Hearst Castle

I took a trip to Hearst Castle in San Simeon. I've been meaning to go there since I moved down. So CB rented a convertible and we cruised down Hwy 1 on a sunny afternoon. The drive was beautiful and the warm weather just topped it off. But haven't you noticed that no matter how nice the view is, after an incredibly long drive, it loses it's appeal.


Hwy 1 Posted by Hello

Hearst Castle was ok. I wasn't sure what to expect. It's called a castle so I was expecting to see something resembling European architect. It turns out to be what I would describe as several large houses built on the same plantation with a Lego of unmatching artifacts from different parts of Europe, even Egypt. Hearst definetly hired a fine architect to build his dream, but the design was... inconsistent. However, the sheer size of that place and its' view was impressive.
Posted by Hello the Neptune pool surrounded by white marble pillars.
. Casa Del Sol, 18 room guest house .Casa Grande

3 comments:

Fumbling said...

wow we stayed a night in Monterey for that trip. Long ass drive

Ben said...

I like the Neptune pool. Very James Bond-ish.

Sam said...

Cursing down on Hwy1 in a convertible on a warm day, that must have been fun. This place was in my list to visit, but never made it.