Monday, November 08, 2004

Grant money

November 3rd, 7pm. I received a call from the government grant ****** program. The lady explained the selection process through her heavy East Indian accent and busy background noise from her office. "you can use the grant money for whatever you choose to. The $8,000 is yours and you can use it to pay off your loans, your car, your house" House? what's $8G going to do for a house? "the money is yours for whatever you want but hopefully you will use it for something good" She repeatedly explained. "You are a Citizen and are paying taxes right?" "I'm not a citizen" I responded suspiciously. The whole time I thought it was my Canadian student loans officer calling to ask if I was deferring my payment or am I going to pay up! "oh you're not? but you do pay taxes right?" "yes, I do" "then you're qualified. There's a lot of background noise can I call you back?" I was driving home and she called back after 5 min as promised. "So, this grant is yours to use for whatever you want blah blah blah accent accent accent but we need to transfer the funds directly to your account so it ensures the money does not go to the wrong person. Do you have your account number on you?" NO "do you have a cheque book on you?" NO "oh, do you have a receipt or something with the digits of your account number?" NO, getting a little frustrated I told her to call back after 2 days, I might know if by then. " oh we have a deadline to meet, and we need to finish the case by tonight." "why are you guys working so late? And you're located in Las Vegas you said?" I questioned. "well, we're just working for another hour" I can't believe this was happening to me! I read scams all the time on the email, but for this to happen to me and to know that they found my cell number and has my office address, that's messed up!
She called back at 9:30 pm after an hour as promised to see if I managed to retrieve my account number. I didn't think they'll call, quite persistent! I kindly declined my $8,000 grant which I would have received directly into my account to use towards whatever I want, but hopefully for good cause such as paying off my tuition, car or HOUSE? @#%@#???

2 comments:

celia said...

Grant my ass! Once you give them your account number, they'll probably make a withdraw instead of a deposit. Fuck them fucken fuckers.

head dump said...

woa... um, you almost sound like you fell victim to them. But I know you're smarter than that.