Thursday, January 27, 2005

Worceshire sauce

Ok, i'm refraining from using a dictionary to spell that word, worceshire. That's not my only problem with that word though. I always mess up it's pronouciation. Everytime I say that word it's like I'm speaking a foreign word, like when I speak Taiwanese or something. When I speak it with my grandma the words sort of roll out. Then when I think of the words too much, I lose it and I forget how to say it and it just doesn't sound right anymore. That's the same as wor-sch-er sauce. Is that how you say it? or wor-cher-shire sauce?

I'm not the only problem with this too! I thought I could blame it on my ESL but M.T. got confused with the word after our lengthy discussion. Moi couldn't spell it either. I wonder if that word ever gets used on Spelling Bees.

(later the same day)

HD runs to CS's door.

"C.S, say wor-scher sauce"
what? wor***** um..
"ok, could you spell it?"
W-O-R-C-***

I"m definetly not the only one.

So with C.S's help she found the spelling for me because I couldn't get it from Dictionary.com my spelling was way too off to be recognizable.

ready guys???

WORCESTERSHIRE

and it's pronounced wus'ter-sher, there's some funky characters on a few of those vowels, but i don't know how to add them on.

phew.. I can now move on with my life.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Worcestershire... i think?

Sam said...

I don’t think I would have spelled it right or pronounced it right… But hey my first language was different...

Christine said...

my first language wasn't english too so maybe we're sensing a pattern here...

Thoughts said...

I think the problem is that none of us pronounce it right but when we do try to say it...everyone knows what we're talking about so we never get corrected. Don't worry...we'll pretend you're saying it right!

Ben said...

Can't we just say, "Hey, does this have garlic and Lea & Perrins in it?"

Yeah, it's one of those words that the English seemed to have abbreviated. I think you'll find it happens with a lot of the "-shire" words (which mostly point to places in England). Even "shire" isn't pronounced "shire"; it's more like "sher" now.

And they shorten that "-cester-" quite commonly as well. Like Lescester Square in London isn't so much "les-ces-ter" as it is "lester". Or that cafe in Vancouver (dunno if it's still around) called Gloucester Cafe: "glaw-se-ter ka-fay".

I think they do it on purpose just to mess us up and laugh at the tourists in Britain. Bastards.

celia said...

Dude, you guys have too much time on your hands!!