Sunday, November 05, 2006

Double Standards

Last night CB and I were a the Grand River Hot Pot on Clement. Chinese hot pot typically means you grab your food at a buffet table and bring it back to grill or boil in broth. The place smelled great but it looked like a BBQ hot box. Do those vents hanging over tables ever work? The chairs and tables were sticky, probably from fumigating in that smoke all night long. The buffet tables were a mess. With the smoke and all it looked like heaven for roaches and that's what we had for company. About 30min into our meal CB starts brushing something to the right of me. I see a 2 inch cockroach running off the edge of the table. I didn't budge and CB continues to eat. Then I leaned back a bit just incase that thing crawls up from underneath. I said it went over the edge, but it's not like it fell off the table, it's probably crawling around the underside. 5min later it crawled towards the food again, this time I waved over a waiter who pulled out his towel as he walked towards us, I pointed and he grabbed. He knew exactly why he was being called. No apologies given, instead I said thanks. Anywhere else I would have demanded our meals be taken care of and then some bitching. But I would feel almost embarrassed to even bitch at a place like this. It just seemed acceptable for crap like that to happen here.

No comments: