Monday, September 27, 2004

Pot Stickers

I went to a work pot luck this weekend. Being the only Taiwanese, I was asked to bring something authentic. I pondered a bit, but authentic to me would be bringing rice stick with pigs blood. I thinkwhat they meant was to bring something from Rickshaws Corner. So I decided to make pot stickers. I like them really crispy so I made full on effort to get them golden on all three sides and crispy once removed from the pan. Everyone was pleased with the pot stickers and so impressed that I actually made something 'cuz they know I didn't cook. I knew they would like it, every body loves pot stickers. Then they asked me what I put in it? um.. oil? oh wait, did I buy the pork and leeks or the chicken and leeks? I responded pork and leeks. Gosh, did these people think I made the pot stickers themselves? I mean, when I said I made them I DID, the same way my mom showed me. I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't make them the way they thought I did. but I cooked them ok!!

3 comments:

Fumbling said...

I think you should've showed up with the pig's blood and a big smile on your face.

celia said...

OR...pigs brain!! You could've made that steamed rice covered pork balls that you love.

Ben said...

Yeah, those blocks of congealed blood would have been more entertaining. Tell them it's a certain type of bean paste, very traditional -- they'll eat that stuff right up (both the food and the backstory).

Filipinos have this dish called "chocolate meat", and I was fooled into trying it. Turns out, there's no chocolate in it at all, not even a little dab or something. It's blood. All blood. Normally made with pork.

So on my second encounter with this, I asked what if it was chocolate meat. She replies, "No no, this is beef."
"Okay, it's beef, but is it chocolate meat? Like, is it blood and meat?"
"It's not pork. Beef. Not pork and blood. Beef."

Clearly, to her, the main issue was that it was not the traditional pork. It was more important to stress that it was the blood of a cow instead. Right. Like that makes it better.

I passed on that dish.