Monday, February 07, 2005

Food Allergy

My sister Celia has seasonal allergies. Every spring time when the flowers bloom and lawns get clipped, she develops these short mouse like sneezes.. usually consistently rhythmic. Ha choo choo (pause) choo choo choo, it’s her trademark sneeze. We’d like to count how many times she can sneeze in a row. My little sister, Grace, sneezes like that too. They both have lots in common.

So, Celia was the first person to introduce me to the concept of allergies. As I meet more people in life, I'm surprised to learn about all the various allergic reactions out there. My elementary friend P. was allergic to chocolate. As a 10 year old I thought that was the most tragic thing that could possibly happen to someone. I would never wish that upon anyone! Now, diabetes is up there on my tragic life ailments list too. But that’s not an allergy and I don’t want to diverge.

Um…(searching brain, where was I?) There’s common allergies like dogs, cats, nuts etc.. CN is allergic to Brazillian nuts specifically and DK to Mac. A few new ones to me are VA’s allergy to pears/ apples or something like that. I always felt allergies were such a pain. Some people don’t even realize they’re experiencing a reaction and thinks it’s normal to have that itchy feeling in their throat when they eat nuts!

So, I’ve been pretty pleased that I don’t have any allergies. Until today. I’m having this curry for lunch and it’s making my tongue feel numb. Sort of a tingling feeling like there’s a current running through it. I felt this once before when I was trying these Dan Dan noodles at a Chinese restaurant. The noodles were awful and it made my tongue feel numb just like this curry did. Now I’m curios if it’s a reaction or if it’s normal! It's kinda scary.

3 comments:

Fumbling said...

Then there's Denny who didn't know until a short while ago that the stinging sensation he felt after eating apples was not normal. :)

And yeah, allergy to chocolate would be horrible.

Christine said...

and all this time i thought i was the only one... growing up i was the same way! imagine combining three sneezes into one - pain!

for some reason though, i outgrew it and can't remember the last time i sneezed like that. in a weird way i miss my unique sneezes!

celia said...

i'm allergic to cats too. and i do read small print.