Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Goblins and ghosts and demons oh my

Hello, my name is Eva, I'm 27 and I have nyctophobia and all the spooky stuff that comes with it. 
 
I planned my Monday night to be relaxing.  I will cook some pasta, have a glass of red wine and watch a movie.  Except, when I got home I found out my roomie picked up Gothika.  (My roomie and I share the Blockbuster pass and we'll rent movies and leave them on the kitchen counter for the other).  With dinner made, wine in hand I stared at the DVD.  A voice inside my head whispered "grow up you wimp".  I will be brave, it might not be that bad. I thought Secret Window was going to be scary and it wasn't!  I popped in the DVD, turned around to bring my food to the couch and the scene selection with the scary music immediately started.  WTF! where are the previews to warm me up? Things are starting to get spooky already.  I stared at the screen and faces of actors and actresses faded in and out to the beat of rhythmic static. Then it ended (zip.. static static.. ugly faces pops in and out of the screen) ok, that's enough!   The 2 minutes worth ruined my night already.  I stopped the DVD, I couldn't even pull the DVD out, I didn't want to see Halle Berry's freaked out face on the DVD.  Images of faces from other horror flicks started running through my head, specifically from The exorcist .

Parent's shouldn't allow their 6 year olds to watch The Exorcist.  That's just wrong. Now I'm all jacked 'cuz of stuff like that. 
 
I also have Lygophobia, Myctophobia, Philophobia, Arachibutyrophobia,  Pneumatiphobia, Pnigerophobia, Daemonophobia, brontophobia, Arachibutyrophobia and maybe, Anutaphobia.








12 comments:

Thoughts said...

You're so funny! You should try watch Exorcist now that you're all grown up...not so scary. Anyways, I understand you entirely...that's why I just don't even watch any scary movies at all...not so worth it for me. And if I do decide to watch one...there better be some guy there so that I can hide my face behind his big, masculine body.

Anonymous said...

translations for normal people: http://www.phobialist.com/

-denny

Fumbling said...

Poltergeist and the Changeling messed me up forever. But I still love horror movies. Mothman Prophecies was a good one too.

Anonymous said...

:) :) OK - thanks for the info - I will stay away from Gothika too. Seriously, I don't even want to pee by myself after watching a scary movie. I made my boyfriend go to the bathroom with me after we watched Poltergeist! And I alway think that I shouldn't be scared - I'm an adult, right?! Oh well...

head dump said...

I like horror movies too. I have this strange curiousity for them. Someone has to be in the house when I watch them though, or it has to be during day time. Depending on how scary it is, I might need someone to be in the house every night before I go to bed for a few days/weeks.

head dump said...

LOL, who else is like that? What phobia do you call it when you're afraid to flush the toilet?

Ben said...

From Denny's link to the phobia list, here are the definitions ...

Lygophobia- Fear of darkness.
Myctophobia- Fear of darkness.
Philophobia- Fear of falling in love or being in love.
Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
Pneumatiphobia- Fear of spirits.
Pnigophobia or Pnigerophobia- Fear of choking of being smothered.
Demonophobia or Daemonophobia- Fear of demons.
Brontophobia- Fear of thunder and lightning.
Anuptaphobia- Fear of staying single.

Seriously, do people have genuine fears of getting peanut butter stuck to the roofs of their mouths?? Like, a real fear??

Wow, you got all that from watching 2 minutes of this movie? That's truly incredible filmmaking. In any case, I'm a scary movie pussy -- I watched Final Destination 2 one night, and it freaked me out. Ditto with those spine-chilling feelings.

head dump said...

Ben, I can't believe you looked them all up. Don't you people work? Did you check the other phobia's on the list? I thought the peanut butter one was funny.

Oliver said...

I still think the exorcist is pretty f#@%-ing scary. There's a new one coming out soon. You know what creeps me out? When you're swimming in a lake and you feel something brush up against your leg.

Ben said...

Oliver, I suppose you mean besides a gorgeous mermaid or a bikini-clad supermodel?

Oliver said...

Yeah, bikini-clad supermodels brush up against my leg ALL the time. Its actually so big of a problem that... oh c'mon, who does that happen to?

Ben said...

The Sport Illustrated Swimsuit Edition photographer's dog, who accompanies them on all the photo shoots?

Oh, was that a trick question? D'oh.