Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Walk with me

It was 12am and we decided to get off our lazy ass and go.  I finally figured out how to get there.  280, exit Edgewood Rd.  head west and you'll hit a T-stop.  There's gravel parking on both sides.  Parks close at sunset (8pm) but we pulled out one flashlight and headed into the darkness.  The light flashed past the sign "Edgewood trail" It's an easy trail during the day, but you hear all sorts of animals rustling in the bushes at night.  They seem to sound louder when you can't see anything.  We nearly walked through a 6 foot spider web made by a big brown spider spanning 2 inch in diameter.  Actually, we did walk through one of its' anchors to the ground.  We kept walking further into the darkness.  A mile down we came under the 280 bridge, the light from the bridge only made the passage darker than it is.  We walked through scavenging the darkness with the flashlight.  I kept looking back, paranoid that something dirty (as they say in Chinese) was following me.  But I know very well that when walking down a path, to never look back (that's what all the movies say). I highly doubt there's any homeless people under here, there are wire fences paralleling us, but that's not what I fear.  The speeding traffic above was a constant reminder that we're not in the middle of nowhere.  But still, no one will hear my scream if I did.  We came out of the darkness and into the open.  The dark hill laid in front of us.  If we hiked up, there's a bench we can rest on and stare up at the stars.  I looked up at the over cast shading the moon, then over to the darkness.  I was tired, not from the walk, but from my heart racing since we started the trail.  My heart was tired from being scared.   I didn't want to walk through the canopy of darkness, it wasn't worth it, plus the fog started to cover the moon and it was getting darker.  "next time" I said.  I'm too paralyzed to continue.  We headed back to the car.  It really wasn't that bad of a walk.  It was exciting, and I've always liked the drive down Canada Rd.  No matter how eerie the night can be, there's something very serene about the the fog rolling over the hills meeting the reflection of the moon on the lake.  I'll have to run that trail more often, get to know it better and next time, when the sky's clear, it'll be worth it.


5 comments:

Fumbling said...

Why in the heck were you walking around the woods at midnight?

Kevin said...

... and how do I get there from where I am?

head dump said...

Fly out of Chiang Kai Shek into SFO, Take 101 south, 92 West then south on Canada Rd till you hit Edgewood.

We were going to look at stars.

Ben said...

Sometimes I also like to venture into the scary darkness in the middle of nowhere to look at stars. I think my favourite part is when your eyes finally get accustomed to the low light, and all the stars shine their brightest.

And then you look around and begin to realize there are hundreds of pairs of glowing eyes staring hungrily at you.

Or they're staring that roast beef sandwich you brought with you. Or that Diet Coke. Or the oatmeal raisin cookie you have in your bag for dessert.

Oh, wait. Those aren't eyes. Those are just the bushes of summer berries glistening by the moonlight. Never mind, then.

Thoughts said...

Ok...you found it...I guess we'll have to go one day!